UC Davis on iTunes U: Frequently Asked Questions
- What does it cost to access UC Davis on iTunes U?
- Nothing. You can watch or listen to all the UC Davis content on iTunes U for free using iTunes, software that is freely available and runs on both PC and Apple computers. Members of the UC Davis community can also publish content to the UC Davis on iTunes U site at no cost as long as the recordings are in these formats: MP3, Quicktime, Windows Media or H.264. Other file formats such as Real Media will have to be converted before they can be posted. Contact IET Academic Technology Services for assistance with conversion (a fee will be requested for the service).
- How do I use UC Davis on iTunes U?
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes. To download the application, visit the iTunes site.
- Visit UC Davis on iTunes U and launch the application.
- Is the UC Davis on iTunes U audio and video protected by copyright?
- Yes. Almost everything on the Internet is protected by copyright. For general information on copyrights read UC Davis Policy and Procedure Manual section 250-01. To learn more on these issues, read copyright guidelines.
- What are podcasts?
- A "podcast" is one or a series of digital audio or video recordings that can be published via the Internet. Podcasts can be downloaded to a computer or MP3 player, or accessed and listened to using software such as Apple iTunes. Podcasts make it possible to subscribe to groups of recordings, such as a course. Whenever a new lecture or track becomes available, a message is sent to the subscribers letting them know, so that it is easy to stay current without having to constantly check for new materials.
- Where in iTunes is the content I downloaded from UC Davis on iTunes U?
- Individual downloads appear in a playlist called "UC Davis" in the playlists section of the iTunes application.
- You can also subscribe to podcasts that have new content added over time. These can be found in the "Podcasts" section of the iTunes application.
- And you can go directly to the UC Davis on iTunes U pages in iTunes.
- Do I have to use iTunes and Apple products to access UC Davis on iTunes U?
- Currently, you must use the iTunes application to download the materials from UC Davis at iTunes U. Apple offers a free Windows version of iTunes that can run on Windows or Mac OS-based computers.
- You do not need a Macintosh, iTunes or an iPod to play the audio files. All you will need is a player capable of playing .mp4 AAC (Advanced Audio Codec) files.
- How can I find academic courses being podcasted that aren’t on this site?
- The great majority of UC Davis courses are available through a separate podcast system on campus. Students and faculty interested in academic course podcasts should visit IET’s Podcasting at UC Davis.
- Who is responsible for UC Davis on iTunes U?
, University Communications Web editor, is responsible for site content.
, interim assistant vice chancellor of University Communications, UC Davis, has management responsibility for iTunes U at UC Davis.